re:Gnome gripes

could someone who has Gnome "working" post his/her configuation? I've
edited Xsession according to _Learning Debian GNU/Linux :

    #!/bin/bash
    xterm &
    gmc &
    enlightenment &
    panel
    exit 0
    ##

basically I guess I'm running the aps without any " session" and I have
to reconstruct eveything everytime. Sooo...
    where does "gnome-session" go, or should it be "exec gnome-session"?

    how do you get gdm working? do I really want to?
    is there anything I'm mising?
    how do you get the fonts (like in xterm) larger?

I haven't used anything other than Gnome so I have no comparison but it
seems as though a little tuning is called for.

Thanks,
Dave