RE: Proprietary CD ROM Controller

Title: RE: Proprietary CD ROM Controller

-----Original Message-----
From: MSaxena358@aol.com [mailto:MSaxena358@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 1:53 AM
To: bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Proprietary CD ROM Controller

Hi Bruce,

    Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately, the command didn't work and the
help screen showed nothing similar.  The help screen said that modules for
proprietary controllers could not be loaded at boot, but only later.  The
problem is how can I load it later if it won't recognize the CD-ROM?  I get
through all the partitioning process fine, but when it comes to install the
OS kernel and modules it can't get to them on the CD.
    Is there some way to get the needed files and modules onto floppy and
install it from there?
    Thanks for your help!

Yes if you need to you can even install the entire base system from floppy.  You would need 16 floppies.  Boot in windows and have as many formatted floppies as you want you probably don't need the base 11 floppies, just the 3 driver, and the root and install.  All of these can be made using rawrite and the files in the disks-1440 directory.  The files have names like root.bin, rescue.gz (first boot disk), drivers_xx.bin etc.  and then of course base2_2-1.bin or such through 11.  At any step where you could recognize your cd device you can switch to the cd, or else select /dev/fd0 as the installation medium.  You should only need rescue, root, and the three drivers floppies.  It will get to a configuring modules step where you want to add the module for your cd-rom.  Since it is not ide I don't know what /dev will be offered to install the base-system.  If you want make all the base system floppies as well and install them, then reboot and use dselect and insmod your module for your cd-rom at boot time... then use multi-cd in apt.

Andrew