Re: Learning Linux

Steven Burns wrote:

> Anyway, I just thought you deserved a decent response with some specifics, rather
> than the lame-ass type of response you got from Mr. Peak.  I mean, seriously, Mr.
> Peak's response gives absolutely no useful information.  "I'd recommend getting a
> good Linux book to help you get started?"  Well - NO DUH!!!  The question is which
> book!
>
> I recently posted a question to this group about the problem I'm having with the
> Debian installation program and got a similarly useless response.
>
> Steven

now, now.

do you suppose your diatribe will elicit more cooperation?

or less? (i tried it, and the answer is less. trust me.)

even tho i occasionally get some terse answers which don't mean
much to me, i've learned to either ignore them and keep plugging
until i find what i need, or to ask more specific questions until
i get the pointer that breaks me out of my snag. sometimes the
answer-ers assume you know more than you do; don't be shy about
asking for more basic background info.

certainly, it's not wise to tick off someone who has the capability
to be very ehlpful to you (even if he hasn't been, yet).

the hand that feeds, and so forth.

by the way -- we're ALL in this together; you'll be able to help
someone else someday, and may manage to provide an answer
that's not useful to the asker, someday. you don't owe me any
answers, and i don't owe you one, either. but if i think i can
help, i will try.

encourage, listen, offer.

Scold, is not The Way To Enlightenment.