Re: Loading Debain by PPP connection

Dan Hutchinson wrote:

> I have loaded my home PC with the base system from debian download.
> I try to connect to the web to download the debian packages from the
> web. I installed the potato version.
> My problem is as follows:
> When I run dselect it trys to connect through the NIC card I have.
> I have a PC with a NIC and a PPP modem.  I am assuming the modem is compatiably
> since it advertised Linux compatiablity.  It is a PC Call Waiting modem.
>  I have a dual Pentium 500 Celeron system with ABIT motherboard, 394MB
> memory, 20GB Hard Disk, Yamaha CD-RW, etc...
>
> What files to I have to manaul configure with a base debian system or
> can I run something like pppconfig.
>
> Dan

Dan, I recently went through this myself. Here's what worked for me:

Go to http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/net/pppoe.html
Download the pppoe package. (This assumes you can get to the ftp site
somehow--maybe another box?)
Install it:
	# dpkg --install pppoe.deb
That will also install the man pages; read 'em to find out what other
script modifications you need to make to:
	/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
	/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider (if you've got a DSL connection)
	/etc/init.d/network
	/etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot
Once you've done all this, you launch your ppp connection thus:
	# /etc/init.d/ppp start
And you kill it thus:
	# /etc/init.d/ppp stop

HTH.