Re: list suggestion? [was Another dpkg or apt-get question from a new user]

Well I, for one, sure would have appreciated such an addition to the message tag (or
monthly notice)

I've been using Linux since late 1994 so, if I'm not a guru [and I'm certainly not],
I do have some fairly rich general skills/knowledge.  But I started with Slackware
and then, somewhere along the way, switched to RH.  Moving, about two weeks ago now,
to Debian has been in many ways a joy, but some specific parts of the change have
been a lot harder to recover from than I had expected.

Most of the "problems" could have been resolved instantaneously if I had had a good
source of information about the way the Debian system handles packages.  And
specifically, what to expect from (and how to get the most out of) the 'dpkg,'
'dselect' and 'apt-get' commands.  (Are there other, related, commands that I haven't
run across yet?)

And I would still enjoy seeing some of those http links you suggested below.

Maury