Re: make-kpkg fail: can't find modversions.h (compiling pcmcia-modules)

> Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:
>
> > I am trying to use make-kpkg to make a pcmcia-modules package for a
> > laptop.  It quits giving the following error:
> >
> > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:19: linux/modversions.h: No such
> > file or directory
> >
> > and sure enough, I can't find a file called "modversions.h" anywhere
> > on the system!!
>
> I stumbled over this one when trying to compile the ALSA modules, took
> me a whole day to find why ...
>
> "modversions.h" is a file being created in the kernel compiling
> process. You have to build a new *kernel* before beeing able to make a
> modules package. Don't do a "make-kpkg clean" after that, because the
> file will be deleted by the cleaning up. Just proceed with making the
> modules package.

Thanks for this.  Yes, I finally worked this out too.  Do you think it
is a bug in the make-kpkg program?

I don't see why it should be necessary to compile the kernel before
doing the modules compile.  Certainly, it never used to be necessary.

Cheers,

Mark.