Re: daemons -- who needs'em?

Quoting w trillich (will@pinncomp.net):
> Joey Hess wrote:

> > > there's still a AWFUL lot of overlap!
> >
> > No there's not. Please give the people who wrote linux some credit for
> > sense.
>
> i saved the output from
> 	tail -50 /var/log/syslog
> 	tail -50 /var/log/daemon.log
> and did a 'diff' on them: of fifty lines, there were only 8 sections
> needing an edit: 1 delete (11 lines) and 7 adds, affecting a total
> of eleven differing lines between the two logs; (50-11)/50 = 78%
> overlap.

That's probably because you've got *.* going to syslog and
daemon.* going to daemon.log. So basically, everything that
goes to the latter goes to the former too. This is all syslogd
stuff in /etc/syslog.conf.

I find syslog useful to tail when I can't be bothered remembering
which specific log will be taking it. It gets large quite quickly,
which is why it rotates every day and disappears after a week.
Most of the others rotate weekly and so last much longer.

Cheers,