Re: hacked?

What specifically makes you think they logged in via telnet?  Do you
have a utmp (login) record, or just a telnet connection record, in your
daemon logs?  There's a difference.  I've had occasional telnet attempts,
but the only logins I've ever seen on my box were ones I could account
for myself.  When I *do* need to allow telnet, I open it up to as specific
a set of IP addresses (one preferably) outside my local net as possible.

...and what are you doing allowing telnet in the first place?  While it
can be slightly useful in a local network, it's a severely insecure
protocol, and you should probably have it open to local traffic only in
/etc/hosts.allow.  If you are supporting remote clients, there are ssh
implementations for a wide range of hosts, including java
implementations which will run in a browser.