more real runlevels?

When will Debian follow the Linux Standard Base with respect to init
runlevels?  The current scheme (still in potato, I haven't checked
woody) basically has just 2 distinct levels - single user and fully
operational.  This throws away most of the power of sysvinit (which
comes at the cost of considerable complexity).

I would like to run the system without xdm most of the time, but there
are times when I need it.  Also sometimes I want to switch off network
services but still allow local logins.

The LSB allows for such variations with more finely tuned runlevels.
But meanwhile I am stuck with Debian.  I can make my own runlevels
from among 3-5 by removing some of the links from /etc/rc[345].d, but
will the next upgrade of the relevant packages re-create the links?
If so, what _is_ the proper way to do this with Debian?

Thanks for your answers.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.