Re: magicfilter vs. apsfilter

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 04:17:57PM +0200, andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de wrote:
> Browsed through the Debian mailinglist archive concerning apsfilter.
> Interesting ;-) Concerning your question ...

I guess it was not my question because I don't remember asking ;-)

> BTW, best would be to contact the Debian Port Maintainer of the gs port
> (I put him on Cc:) to perhaps include the same 3rd party driver as I did for
> the FreeBSD port, to be generally in sync with apsfilters printer list.
> This is a complete list of gs 6.01 supported printer + additional compiled in
> 3rd party driver, see below ...

I think we can have those drivers in the Debian package as well. Good to
know who is working on it for FreeBSD. I think there is a lot of stuff which
can be done to gs so perhaps we can join forces and get something running.

For example I wanted to move the drivers out of the main binary (kind of
plugins) but I did not have the time lately. RL is always in the way :(

> Additionally he could add the contributed uniprint driver profiles, I got
> from users (which are additionally distributed with apsfilter and simply can
> be copied into gs libdir)

I wonder if the copyright of those profiles is known. I like to include them
but I think the ultimate way to improve all Ghostscript distributions is
to shuffle it upstream.

> Maybe it would be an advantage, if Matej could take over maintainership
> of the gs port. My experience as owner of gs and apsfilter port in FreeBSD
> is, that "it%s a good thing (tm)". So apsfilter and gs are in sync. But
> that%s only a proposal. It%s not necessarily needed.

If you want to take gs, Matej, I have no problem with that. I can always
find enough work with other packages ;)

> Look at the URLs in the Makefile, to see, what additional things I added t
> FreeBSDs gs 6.01 port:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/print/ghostscript6/Makefile?rev=1.48

Thanks for the URL, I will take a look.

> In short:
> # Additional Drivers:
> # http://www.proaxis.com/~mgelhaus/linux/software/hp880c/hp880c.html
> HP8XX_DRV=      gdevcd8.tar.gz

The Debian package has a hp8xx driver from
http://www.erdw.ethz.ch/~bonk/ftp/gs-driver-distrib/hp8xxs13.zip. IIRC the
hp880c driver is derived from it and was intended to move into the hp8xx
sources. Also I think this driver is now included in gs 6.0.

Sorry, I am tired so I don't want to check - I am just trying to get my
email answered before I fall asleep.

> # HPDJ, additional driver for HP PCL3 Printers, by Martin Lottermoser
> # ftp://ftp.sbs.de/pub/graphics/ghostscript/pcl3/pcl3.html
> HPDJ_DRV=       hpdj-2.6.tar.gz

The .deb has it as well.

> # contributed uniprint profiles
> CONTRIB_UPP=    lqx70ch.upp lqx70cl.upp lqx70cm.upp \
>                 stc740ih.upp stc740p.upp stc740pl.upp

We don't have that.

> Before my holiday (next week) I will have the new release out.
>
> One major feature (it has lots) will be, that you can choose printer driver
> specific options via lpr%s -C option, i.e.:
>
>  lpr -C glossy:high:present file
>
> (use glossy paper, high resolution, presentation quality)

Hmm, who pays for the paper ,-)

> bin/apsfilter can easily be edited, to add further driver specific options,
> I possibly forgot to add.
>
> BTW, Matej Vela, Debians apsfilter port maintainer has joined the apsfilter
> developement team yesterday. I hope that we%ll do a fine job for you all now
> and in the future !

I am sure he will. Thanks for sending me a copy. This information was very
interesting for me...

BTW: Is there an easy way to find out who is maintaining a port for FreeBSD?
I mean to find the maintainer of gs, for example, you can go to
http://packages.debian.org/gs, click on the newest package and you have the
current maintainer. Is there something similar on the FreeBSD webpages?

Friendly

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member