Re: user still logged in...

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 02:44:48PM +0530, vipin Aravind wrote:
> I got the right person , look /var/run/utmp holds the entry for the login
> shells and all
>   the processes in its group .  I found it from the windows m/c from where I
> held a telnet session
> with the linux m/c and  I gave a hard reset to my windows m/c
>    .  I booted back on my windows m/c and then  had a look at the
> ps -el and to my surprise I found   that the the shells assosciated with the
> tty line of the earlier terminal  still exists
> not detached but with the older tty line and hence a potential bug.

well telnetd should evenually timeout, and send a SIGHUP to your login
shell which causes a SIGHUP to be sent to all its children, this
effectivly kills all the processes you started from that login.  you
can do it your self by finding the pid of your OLD login shell and
running kill -1 on it, that will usually cleanly remove the utmp
entry.  now if your processes were killed off but there is still a
utmp entry that is a bug.

session timeouts can take as much as 10 mintutes i have found, its not
instant by any means.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/