RE: user still logged in...

I got the right person , look /var/run/utmp holds the entry for the login
shells and all
  the processes in its group .  I found it from the windows m/c from where I
held a telnet session
with the linux m/c and  I gave a hard reset to my windows m/c
   .  I booted back on my windows m/c and then  had a look at the
ps -el and to my surprise I found   that the the shells assosciated with the
tty line of the earlier terminal  still exists
not detached but with the older tty line and hence a potential bug.