Re: XFree86-4.0 and xauth

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 07:10:59PM -0400, Brian Stults wrote:
> I upgraded to XFree86-4.0 recently, and now xauth doesn't seem to work.

i don't use XFree86-4.0 yet, but here's guess or two.

> I usually use ssh to work on my unix account at work and to do so, I
> have a script that looks like this:
>
> ssh REMOTEHOST "/usr/openwin/bin/xauth add `grep -e IPADDR
> /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info | gawk -F = '{print $2}'`:0 . `xauth list
> LOCALHOST/unix:0 | gawk '{print $3}'`"

Have you checked that this still generates the right output? i.e. what
is is supposed to generate and what does it actually do? Change the
cookie if you want to post it, no one will know the difference.

For example, in my xauth file i have keys for both MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
and XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1. If the XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 would have happened
to come first, it would be using the wrong cookie for your script.

> xterm -e ssh REMOTEHOST
>
> This basically gets my current IP address from the dhcpcd info, and uses
> ssh to add the xauth code for that IP to my list on the remote host.

Just out of curiousity, why don't you just use ssh's X forwarding?
Especially since the long-standing bug that made it fail on some
configurations has been fixed in the latest Debian versions.

> However, since I upgraded to 4.0, this doesn't work.  Even if I do it
> manually on the remote host, it still doesn't work.  When I try to
> execute a program on the remote host with the display exported to my
> localhost, I get this:
>
> Xlib: connection to "LOCALHOST:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: LOCALHOST:0

When you say 'manually' do you mean "manually ran the script" or "did
xauth list and copy-pasted the output by hand into the remote session"?

Apparently, there's some issue with the key being different... The only
guess i have at the moment is that that script is producing incorrect
output.

--
  finger for GPG public key.