Re: root filesystem corrupted, can't log in

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:47:37PM -0700, montefin wrote:
> Philip,
>
> To follow up on Nathan's reply, and only because when I upgraded Red Hat
> from 6.0 to 6.1, I earned the dubious title Mr. Fsck-it, here's my 2
> cents:
>
> It seems the linux kernels from about 2.2.7 thru 2.2.13, and only on IDE
> boxes, had a recurrent filesystem corruption problem. I was on kernel
> 2.2.12 when I upgraded to RedHat 6.1 and it slaughtered me. Here's the
> routine that worked over and over again for me when boot up failed.

i can certainly attest to 2.2.13 trashing filesystems, it was always
`corrupted blocks' or some such thing too.

<snip>

> When they are all done, type 'exit' (without the quote marks). Your
> system will shutdown and you _should_ be able press restart and boot
> back up clean. Should.

unless it was 2.2.13 in which case all three times i had this
corruption all of /etc was gone, as was /bin and a few other things
that don't matter like /lib :(  they took a new nameless home in /lost+found...

> You mileage may vary, but I have had to do that so many times under Red
> Hat I've lost count. I'm surprised to encounter it in Debian. AND it may
> be different here, so if anyone thinks he shouldn't try this, please
> speak up NOW.

the kernel is the kernel, the distribution does not matter when your
kernel is puking all over the filesystem.  and 2.2.13 seemed to always
kill the root filesystem first.

> Good Luck,

you will need it.  and don't allow any 2.2 kernel earlier then 2.2.14
within a mile of any of your machines :|

fsck is a four letter word for a reason, its spelled f s c k but its
pronounced ...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/