XFree86-4.0 and xauth

I upgraded to XFree86-4.0 recently, and now xauth doesn't seem to work.
I usually use ssh to work on my unix account at work and to do so, I
have a script that looks like this:

ssh REMOTEHOST "/usr/openwin/bin/xauth add `grep -e IPADDR
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info | gawk -F = '{print $2}'`:0 . `xauth list
LOCALHOST/unix:0 | gawk '{print $3}'`"
xterm -e ssh REMOTEHOST

This basically gets my current IP address from the dhcpcd info, and uses
ssh to add the xauth code for that IP to my list on the remote host.
However, since I upgraded to 4.0, this doesn't work.  Even if I do it
manually on the remote host, it still doesn't work.  When I try to
execute a program on the remote host with the display exported to my
localhost, I get this:

Xlib: connection to "LOCALHOST:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: LOCALHOST:0

I assume this is because of the upgrade, but I suppose it could be due
to recent updates in the OpenSSH debian packages.  I'm using woody.  Any
suggestions?  In the meantime I'm using xhost to add the remote host,
but I'm not very comfortable doing that since a lot of people use that
server, and I have to go through the extra steps.  I should emphasize,
that this worked fine a couple weeks ago.

Thanks.

--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate