root filesystem corrupted, can't log in

My potato workstation suffered from a power failure and it seems
like the partition holding the root filesystem was damaged. When
I boot, fsck forces a check and reports an error about duplicate
blocks (I'm sorry that I can't provide the precise error
messages, but there is no way to catch them).

fsck tries to fix the problem but it fails, saying something
about an "unexpected inconsistency" (IIRC) and tries to dump me
to a sulogin prompt. At that point I get an error about
/sbin/sulogin not beeing found (I guess because the file system
is not mounted yet) and the machine simply reboots. If I don't
turn it off when the BIOS comes up, it keeps on looping.

I'm desperate because the same happens when I boot from a rescue
disk. What can I do about that? Any help will definetly be very
much appreciated...

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>