Re: Leafnode problem

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 10:09:10AM +0100, Christopher Clark wrote:
> After trying and failing to use INN, I removed it using dpkg and installed
> leafnode.  I had to use fetch -f but after that it seemed to work fine when I
> manually kicked it.  But when I added it to my cron.daily job ( su news -c
> "/usr/sbin/fetch" ) I get: shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> I assume it's a permission thing, possibly leftover from INN but I don't know
> what they should be. Strangely, if I, as root, execute the cron job, it
> seems to work fine. I use slink
> Can anybody help please?

Leafnode is sensitive, to a fault, to directory permissions, and has a
strong tendency to fail either silently or complaining of something else.
IIRC, fetchnews runs effectively (either through a subprocess or other
majick), as user news.  Check permissions on /var/spool/news.  It should
look vaguely like:

    drwxr-xr-x  18 news   news     4096 Apr 24 02:47 /var/spool/news

What's your crontab line?  Mine's:

    6  0,6,12,18   * * *	news /usr/sbin/fetchnews 1>/dev/null

...if you're running this out of the system crontab, there's no need to
add the 'su'.   Note I also prefer running fetchnews several times
daily.

...and I'm not familiar with "fetch".

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself