LaserJet 1100

Hi. We're using a LaserJet 1100 here as the network printer. It's
being served up by a 486 running woody, with gs-aladdin 5.5,
magicfilter, and lprng.

The quality is okayish for text, but any grayscale or colour graphics
have really bad (looks like 150dpi) dithering. I've temporarily tried
the Windows drivers, and at `normal' setting it's far better (at
`best' setting it's about half speed and unimaginably better).

FWIW, I think the LaserJet 1100 is effectively the LaserJet 6L in a
new box (but I could be wrong.

Currently it's running as the ljet4l magicfilter. Is there any way of
improving the quality of the output? Has anyone got their LaserJet
running in high quality mode?

Thanks in advance,
--
Alisdair McDiarmid                                    alisdair@jml.net