Re: /var/lib gone

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 06:58:56PM +0100, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 07:51:55PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
> > try "dpkg -S /var/lib" and then "dpkg -i ..." then shown packages once
> > more. that way you'll avoid reinstalling the whole distro.
>
> Um, all the dpkg database is stored in /var/lib, so that won't work.

You could still get a list of more or less all installed packages, since
every package creates a self-named directory in /usr/doc or
/usr/share/doc. There's one or two extras. A quick check on my own
system shows only one package installed without any docs: fdflush.
Sounds like a bug to me, since it should have at least a copyright
file... Anyone feel like filing it, or do i have to do it myself? ;)

If you could get things together far enough for dpkg/apt to work, you
could then go reinstall every package you previously had.

BTW, every package puts files in /var/lib/dpkg/info --
{pre,post}{inst,rm}, md5 sums for all files, lists of installed files,
lists of conf files, and so on. So to get things fully working, you'd
need to reinstall them all anyway.

--
  finger for GPG public key.