bash-related (?) segfault

My computer is regularly segfaulting.  It runs fine for a while, but
then when I try to execute an xterm, or netscape, or ncftp (for example)
I get segfaults.  I shutdown X, and try to reboot (using ctrl-alt-del),
but that won't work either.   I try to "su" to root to execute reboot
directly, but that either segfaults or gives me an error message of
something like "error with dynamic linker".  I'll write down that
specific error message the next time it happens.  Finally, I just turn
it off and on again, and then it's fine for a while.  This started
happening about 2 weeks ago.  For a long time before that everything was
very stable.  I haven't made any hardware changes, and I was using
unstable for months before that, so it's not due to a distribution
upgrade.

I can't think of anything specific that I'm doing every time that it
does this.  Sometimes I'll go home for the night when everything is
working fine, and when I come back the next morning I have this
problem.  Other times, it happens while I'm working.  I realize I
haven't given much information.  If someone can suggest a solution, or
give me some tips for how to debug this, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm
running woody with kernel 2.2.14.

Thanks.
--

Brian J. Stults