Re: Is apt-cdrom necessary ?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Egbert Bouwman wrote:

> Many months ago I learned somewhere that you have to use 'apt-cdrom'
> in order to add CD's to your sources.list, and that worked.
> But now Pann McCuaig sais he manually added a line for a CD
> to sources.list:
>    deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main
> and that worked as well.
>
> The man page for apt-cdrom says that you cannot do what Pan did -
> at least that is what i understand from it.
> Does somebody know the details ? Is apt-cdrom obsolete or something ?

You need apt-cdrom if you have the set of Debian official CDs. apt-cdrom
then is supposed to tell you "insert disk #1, insert disk #2" and so on.
[ Have you ever done a multi-volume backup using PKZIP? ].

If you only need packages on the first CD (which contains the most
opoular packages), then you may forget about the others and use the
file:/ trick and the normal APT method. However, in this case, dselect
will show you as being available only those packages in the first CD.