Re: Xconsole

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 10:48:20AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using xdm to login on my linux box. For installing some X-related
> stuff, I had stopped xdm and then restarted it. Since then I am not
> getting the xconsole window for all login accounts. Typing xconsole
> gives me a window with the message "Couldn't open console". Tried the
> same thing as root and even rebooted with the same results. How can I
> get back xconsole? For information, I am using Debian 2.1, X 3.3.6.

I'm not sure why the behaviour changed.  There was some talk several
months ago that xconsole should not be available to any user by default.
Anyway, add yourself to the 'adm' group, if you aren't already a member
(adduser <username> adm).  Then, you can run xconsole with:

	xconsole -file /dev/xconsole &

Put that in your ~/.xsession, and it wil always be started after you log
in.  For some reason, it doesn't default to the correct "file", so it
must be specified (/dev/xconsole is a fifo).

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.