Re: mounting a NTFS partition at boot time

I have had no problem using NTFS from potato, though my initial install was from boot floppies 2.2.8 (roughly). Have you checked with lsmod that the NTFS module is actually installed in the running kernel?

Also, try deleting the fstab line and typing it again--maybe some odd character got in there.

At 07:12 AM 4/23/00, Shao Zhang wrote:
Alan Sobey [ags-lists@esatclear.ie] wrote:

> > > Could you post the line in fstab?
> > Here are a couple of lines from my fstab:
> > # <pass>
> > /dev/hda3       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> > /dev/hda5       /usr/local    ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> > /dev/hda6       /home         ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> > /dev/hda1       /winnt        ntfs   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      0
>
> Check your man page for the options for ntfs - maybe your selected
> options aren't valid.
Yes, I did check. NTFS is not there. But the manpage does mention that
any file system listed in /proc/filesystems should be supported, which
has got NTFS.

> Try "mount /winnt" from the console (i.e. let
> it try to read /etc/fstab, rather than typing in the full command
> manually) and hopefully errors will be reported to the console.
% sudo mount /winnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

It seems to me it is still trying to mount it as an ext2 partition.

Regards,

Shao.
Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Email: shao@cia.com.au                                                  |___/