Re: Netscape

Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> One more question:
>
> On one of my other machines, I need to have Netscape Navigator installed,
> so I can have a browser that does RSA secure https:// browsing (for some
> online banking.)
>
> I am very much in the learning curve of dselect and apt-get, and alien
> doesn't like to talk to the Mandrake rpm's I have lying around.
>
> If someone can offer a couple of pearls of wisdom regarding getting
> Navigator (I'd prefer the standalone browser, and not the whole
> Communicator mess, but I'll take what I can get since disk space is
> cheaper than time!) running under Debian, I'd appreciate it.  It's fairly
> convoluted trying to sort through www.debian.org on that topic, at least
> for me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil Mendelsohn
>
> --
Hi there

IIRC, the Navigator from version 4.72 of Communicator can be
downloaded from Netscape's site as a tarball. I got
communicator4.72 myself, and it was quite easy to install on
my slink system. (simply untar it and run the install-script).
The new Mozilla-based Communicator6.0 is compiled on potato
libs, => pain installing on slink.
HTH
Vitux

--