Re: Apt wishlist WAS: Re: crypto patch (OT: ports tree)

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 02:02:35AM -0400, Marshal Kar-Cheung Wong wrote:

>     >> and if you want to compile them there's always 'apt-get
>     >> --compile source packagename'.  if you haven't used it before
>     >> here's how it works :)
>
>     > with the annoying side affect of apt insisting on replacing the
>     > locally compiled packages with the debian binary version...
>     > unless you never use apt-get upgrade again or put everything on
>     > hold, which hides the fact that there is a newer version...
>     > (why does apt do that?)
>
> What might be cool is if you compiled your own, it would change the
> version number so that there would be not conflict between official
> binaries and roll-your-own.  Kinda like using the --revision flag with
> make-kpkg.

--revision just sets an epoch, which is rather evil since it will
think your package is newwer then ANY upgraded package unless the
upgraded package has an epoch > yours.

> I guess ultimately, what would be best, would be to keep track of the
> sources that you have installed, so that you know when the sources
> have been updated.  Or have apt recompile for you.

well i just don't understand why apt thinks it should `upgrade' my
package whose version number is == to the one its `upgrading' to.

> Heck, why not just have the computer read our minds.  :)

thats what MacOS and Windoze tries to do ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/