Re: crypto patch (OT: ports tree)

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 12:29:30PM -0800, Adam Shand wrote:
> > If you're really hard core about security and encryption (and I'm going
> > to be heretical here, but hey, I have to plug my home), try OpenBSD.
> > Since it's main repository is in Canada, US crypto laws don't apply.  I
> > played with it a bit, but not enough to really get to know the
> > advantages.  Well, except for the ports.  I wish GNU/Linux would have
> > something like that.  cd /ports/<program>.  make. Automatic download,
> > compilation, installation.  No though required...
>
> yeah open bsd is nice, but i much prefer apt to the ports collection.
> before apt showed up i was almost tempted to switch to open/freebsd because
> the ports tree is so nice.  the bummer about the ports tree is that can't
> clean up after itself as well as a binary package can, and my experience

[eb@venabili eb]$ uname -a
OpenBSD venabili 2.6 VENABILI#2 i386
[eb@venabili eb]$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info
[...]
bash-2.03          GNU Bourne Again Shell
emacs-20.3         GNU editor
screen-3.7.6       multi-screen window manager
bzip2-0.9.5d       block-sorting file compressor, unencumbered
m4-1.4             GNU m4
autoconf-2.13      automatically configure source code on many Un*x platform
[...]

there is a pkg_delete utility which will allow you to delete any of
these listed packages, i've used it and it does work quite well, just
as well as apt-get --purge remove.  all of the above are installed
from the ports collection.

> with freebsd is that the dependencies aren't handled nearly as well as
> debian handles them.

hmm, well when i went to compile emacs it knew that it would need
autoconf and gmake and went ahead and compiled and installed them.

> and if you want to compile them there's always 'apt-get --compile source
> packagename'.  if you haven't used it before here's how it works :)

with the annoying side affect of apt insisting on replacing the
locally compiled packages with the debian binary version...  unless
you never use apt-get upgrade again or put everything on hold, which
hides the fact that there is a newer version...  (why does apt do that?)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/