Re: crypto patch

    >> you have to get the international kernal patch from either
    >> www.kerneli.org, or in the non-US section.  Then you have to
    >> patch the kernel and recompile.

    > with the new mellowing of usa crypto laws, is there any chance
    > that the international kernel patch could be included in the
    > default debian kernel?

Probably not.  Beside the crypto laws, there is also the DSFG that
debian adheres to, and many of the encryption schemes have patents on
them, thus makeing them non-free, and not in debian by default.

If you're really hard core about security and encryption (and I'm
going to be heretical here, but hey, I have to plug my home), try
OpenBSD.  Since it's main repository is in Canada, US crypto laws
don't apply.  I played with it a bit, but not enough to really get to
know the advantages.  Well, except for the ports.  I wish GNU/Linux
would have something like that.  cd /ports/<program>.  make.
Automatic download, compilation, installation.  No though required...

Marshal