Re: /dev/hdd irq timeout?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 06:29:53PM -0500, w trillich wrote:
> i've moved my /home to a separate drive (/dev/hdd6) and
> noticed now and then as i did something in the home
> directory tree, my session would appear to hang; about
> twenty seconds later it'd wake back up.
>
> the i noticed that the console had messages like this:
>
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdd: disabled DMA
> ide1: reset: success
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> ide1: reset: success
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> ide1: reset: success
>
> direction, anyone? what kind of things should i be looking
> for -- or does this smell like a hardware failure?

not necessarly i have a new IBM drive that has occasionally been
showing those messages in the logs, however i noticed that everytime
one of those occured the disk was spinning back up, after making a
very slight click.  i got a hunch that somehow the power saving
`feature' was turned on and used hdparm to instruct it to go into
standby mode, and what do you know the exact same click sound, so i
run ls -l / the drive spins back up and one of those timeout messages
appear.  i ran /sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/hda which disables power saving,
so far i have not had any more of these errors, though its only been a
few days...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/