Re: /dev/hdd irq timeout?

w trillich wrote:

> i've moved my /home to a separate drive (/dev/hdd6) and
> noticed now and then as i did something in the home
> directory tree, my session would appear to hang; about
> twenty seconds later it'd wake back up.
>
> the i noticed that the console had messages like this:
>
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdd: disabled DMA
> ide1: reset: success
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> ide1: reset: success
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> ide1: reset: success
>
> direction, anyone? what kind of things should i be looking
> for -- or does this smell like a hardware failure?

I've had this exact same thing happen to several semi-old WD
hd's in my box, too.
It starts out like yours and gets worse, untill one day the
box freezes altogether, and you have a pain salvaging what's
left on your broken drive. I believe it's a hardware thing,
but I'm no wiz...
It has happened with 4 different kernels, from 2.0.36 to
2.2.14. The box is a PII/350,128Mb, Compaq mobo with onboard
IDE controller. The drives are all recognized as standard IDE
devices by the BIOS.
So, I would also very much appreciate if anyone has any
clues/comments. Is there anything I could do to not have my
disks crash? Is the disk crashing at all, or is there
something else wrong?!
Regards
Vitux

--