potato growing pains

The installation went smoothly except for 1 glitch - I was unable to
create a boot floppy.  When I got to that stage it formatted the blank
floppy I provided (and it seemed to use a "superformat"), then bailed
out.  When I switched to console 2 where the log messages go during
installation, I saw a gripe about invalid argument to umount.  Have
you seen that?  (Yes I tried another floppy, same result).

More importantly though, do you know how I can resize the newfangled
framebuffer console like I could with SVGATextMode?  stm itself
doesn't work at all, predictably; but neither does fbset which seems
to be the closest thing to what I want.  (It complains about a failed
ioctl).  Even if fbset worked, it's a horrific amount of work to
figure out the parameters which are all in terms of pixels, clock
rates etc.  With stm I could just say "stm 112x40" and bingo.  For
text users like me the framebuffer is definitely a giant step backward
unless I'm missing something.  I had to install X just to read some
basic documents.

If resizing is as hard as it seems or even impossible, is there a way
to disable the framebuffer and use the old char-cell console?
Something like a kernel command line parameter perhaps?  I read
kernel/Documentation/fb/* but all I can see is a mention of a video=
parameter with no explanation what should go on the right side. :-(

Thanks for help,

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.