Re: What time is it?

On 20 Apr 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 05:51:09PM -0400, jpb wrote:
> > kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > >     24 4,10,16,22  * * *    root /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.css.gov 1>/dev/null
> > >
> > > ...in your /etc/crontab file is a hell of a lot cooler.
> >
> > Cooler still is to install and run xntp.  It will figure out for itself
> > how often to check the time (you can configure it to consult multiple
> > time servers) and also keep track of how badly your system clock tends
> > to drift and do periodic mini adjustments to the clock.
>
> I'd tried this for a couple of days prior to installing ntpdate.  I've
> found that for my purposes -- largely single-user dialup systems --
> ntpdate was a better solution, less network traffic, and probably
> lighter load on the timeservers.
>
> For dedicated, high-demand, server systems, xntp would probably be
> better.

For a single-user dialup system, if you get adjtimex running properly
you should be able to get your clock running very accurately, I have
mine better than a second a day. Then you can just run rdate
occasionally if things do get out of sync.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards