Re: What time is it?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 05:51:09PM -0400, jpb wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >     24 4,10,16,22  * * *    root /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.css.gov 1>/dev/null
> >
> > ...in your /etc/crontab file is a hell of a lot cooler.
>
> Cooler still is to install and run xntp.  It will figure out for itself
> how often to check the time (you can configure it to consult multiple
> time servers) and also keep track of how badly your system clock tends
> to drift and do periodic mini adjustments to the clock.

I'd tried this for a couple of days prior to installing ntpdate.  I've
found that for my purposes -- largely single-user dialup systems --
ntpdate was a better solution, less network traffic, and probably
lighter load on the timeservers.

For dedicated, high-demand, server systems, xntp would probably be
better.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/