Re: New (to Debian) user with some (what else?) questions

Hi Marshal!

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Marshal Kar-Cheung Wong wrote:

>     > [1] My user (i.e. not "root") does not have permission to start
>     > X.  I have no idea which file(s) is/are actually forbidden to me
>     > and, before I start groping around and resetting permissions
>     > helter skelter, I was wondering if anyone here might tell me the
>     > canonical way to do this under Debian.
>
> This is a problem that seems to pop up randomly on various systems and
> I've never been able to figure it out except by reinstalling X.  It's
> kinda odd...

hmm. Check your /etc/X11/Xserver file. It should look like this:

/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody
<<<<

Note that line numbers 1 and 2 are hardcoded.

					yours,
					peter

--
PGP encrypted messages prefered.