RE: New (to Debian) user with some (what else?) questions

On 20-Apr-2000 15:55:16 Maury Merkin wrote:

> [3]  What command will I use to dial-in to my ISP?  Ditto for hang
> up?
> How do I set it up so that my user (again, not "root") can dial and
> disconnect?
>
> I s'pose that's it for the moment.  Any assistance will be
> graciously
> appreciated.

Install pppd and pppconfig Debian packages.  Make sure to put that
authorized non-root user in the "dip" group in /etc/group like this:

dip:x:30:username1:username2

the username is their login name.

You can dial in to your ISP with "pon" and off with "poff"
Make sure you add your nameserver IP addresses to /etc/resolv.conf
like so:

search yourdomain.com
nameserver ns.ip.add.ress

--