All-in-one fax/printer/scanner compatibility

Does anybody have any experience with any of the all-in-one fax/printer/scanner
devices?  They all say they require Windows 9X or NT, but is it possible to
use them through Linux some way?  I would guess that if they are Mac and
Windows
compatible, they either are or could be made to be Linux compatible as well.
If they are only Windows compatible they may depend on GDI for some
computation,
which may make them useless.

If there is not an existing painless solution, does anybody have any experience
with getting technical specifications from Epson, Brother, HP or any of the
other vendors who make these kinds of boxes?  I haven't called them up
yet, but perhaps it's well known that one of them is hostile to Linux.

It's kind of sad when your primary questions are these administrative concerns,
and not "How well does it work?"