Re: Help -- Data recovery

> Ok so far, I've only recreated a primary partition and that doesn't
> seem to work. I guess I'll try setting it as a logical partition and
> see if it restores things back to normal.
>
> A quick question. If the partition was originally a primary partition,
> and now I'm setting as a logical partition, would it screw up the data
> beyond repair?

ehhmmm ... yes - you would screw up exactly one sector. i cannot tell you,
if you will destroy important data. probably you'd shoot at the fat.
if you are sure, that it was hda2 and not hda5, then it WAS a primary
partition and you needn't to try to make it logical.

> As you can see, all I care about now is to get the data out of that
> partition, and I'm a little nervous about trying things that could
> further corrupt the data on it.

yes ... one last idea: take a program, which can show you a hex-dump of
the hda2 block device (eg, mc or some disk editor) and search for a boot
sector (first byte 0xeb, second something around 0x38-0x50, third 0x90,
then a signature like "MSWIN4.1"). then re-create this partition, so that
it begins exactly at this sector (will be at sector 1, possibly head 0).

if everything else fails, then find a colleague, wich has deeper knowledge
of fat32 internals (possibly the 15-year old son of some friend? :-)).

the last resort is a professional recovery ... but it's ruinously
expensive (i've heard) ...

good luck!

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.