Re: Console problems...

> not being written - in fact, the log messages are displayed to the text
> console... for instance, when I log into a regular text-console (non-X),

is /etc/syslog.conf setup correctly? there you define where to log to.
i don't know, how on debian, but suse logs to /var/log/messages - without
any .0 - this sounds like a rotated older log.
the log file must exist. syslogd won't create a new one, if none
exists. "touch" it, if it's not there.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.