Re: Help -- Data recovery

Quoting Martin Bishop (martinbishop@crosswinds.net):

> So to answer your question, yes I did run 'dos fdisk' but I did not
> modify/change anything when I quit.

That's good. DOS invariably (I think) forces you to reboot if you
make changes because its idea of how to label the partitions is
so bizarre, so a minor change can trigger a completely new scheme.

I think there's a FDISK /STATUS or something to save you a few
keystrokes and having to take care.

> Hmmm, now that you've brought this point up, I can't remember if I
> used 'dos fdisk' or 'linux (c)fdisk' to create the partition on hda.

I must admit that I don't know if the zeroing carried out by
dos has any effect on linux's ability to mount it.

> Ok so far, I've only recreated a primary partition and that doesn't
> seem to work. I guess I'll try setting it as a logical partition and
> see if it restores things back to normal.
>
> A quick question. If the partition was originally a primary partition,
> and now I'm setting as a logical partition, would it screw up the data
> beyond repair?

Yes, I think making partitions logical would screw things up.
The extended partition and *every* logical partition has a partition
table at its start, whereas primary ones don't. (Why this overkill,
I'm not sure.) So I presume you'd mess up the start of your FAT.

> If I understand you correctly, the size that I specify is the block
> ending from hda1 all the way to the max size of the disk. This is
> because I only have two partition on this drive, and I haven't deleted
> or changed hda1.

I think you'll find that it's only important to get the starting
position right anyway. If you're mounting it readonly, a too-large
partition would just enable you to "see" the next partition (though
no correct pointers would point in there).

This is all confirming my prejudices against extended and
logical partitions (being about to carve up a 10GB disk). Every time
you create one of these, you write over a portion of the disk.
Primary partitions carry no such baggage with them.

Cheers,