Upgrading to Kernel version 2.3.28

Hi,
  I have with me a software which runs in any Linux Distribution, but requires
a kernel version of 2.3.28 or higher.

  Is it possible to upgrade an existing 2.0.34 kernel versioned Debian distribution
to kernel version 2.3.28 ?
  If so, where can I get more details on how to proceed with the same ?

  When I tried to compile with the 2.3.28 complete source available
in the linux site - I faced compilation problems in Debian. Hence,
quick and detailed responses would prove very helpful to me.

Thanks and best regards
Jhaanaki M K