removing a broken package?

Hi,

I installed a package sometime back and now cannot remove it, this is what I
get:

free:/etc/init.d# dpkg -r cfs
(Reading database ... 16917 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cfs ...
rmdir: too few arguments
Try `rmdir --help' for more information.
dpkg: error processing cfs (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Configure cfs now [Y/n]? n

Use "cfsconfig" to (re)configure at a future date.

 cfs
free:/etc/init.d#

The problem is that if even if I say yes to configuring it fails to remove it.
I've tried --purge.  Is there some other way I can remove this package?

Thanks,

Steve