Re: Linux Network Problem.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 09:41:05PM -0700, Chen WC wrote:
> Dear sir,

They are a few madams on this mailing list as well (your mail got
forwared to debian-user@lists.debian.org, if you couldn't tell.).

>     Good morning. I'm a Debian Linux new user and currently I'm facing
>     some problem with my network connection. I followed the
>     instruction from Linux installation help,
>     (resc1440.bin,root.bin,base2_1.tgz,loadlin.exe,install).i'd use
>     the files (above) to install in my PC (Pentium II) and type
>     install , then step by step to configure the Linux. After install
>     , the network is unreachable. May i know what is the problem and
>     how to set up my network for the PC so that my PC(Linux) can
>     connect to the other server (UNIX). I'm using utp cable and 3com
>     network card.

Can you be a little more specific about which 3com card?  Do you know if
it's an ISA or PCI card.  Some of the newer 3com cards require a driver
that you must download separately from 3com.  I'm guessing you got the
base system installed, but you didn't configure a network install
(otherwise your network would be configured already!).

If you have an older 3com card, it may be you'll need to find the driver
that works for it and then specify some settings like IO and IRQ.  Please
respond to the list *only* with the exact model of your 3com card, then
someone can direct you appropriately.

>     Besides, I cannot use the 'man' help in Linux after i had
>     installed the Linux in my PC. What is the file need to be copied
>     or executed so that I can use 'man' command in Linux environment.
>     Thank you for help.

You do not have a fully functioning system yet.  Well, it functions, but
only the bare minimum of software is installed.  So, you don't have the
mandb package yet, and, hence, can't use 'man'.  The boot floppy install
is a two-part process.  First you install the base system, then you
reboot, select the packages (or tasks) you want to install, and then
install and configure them.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.