RE: install help with a SCSI CDROM on a 486

> I've been fighting this Debian install for 3 weeks and am about tired of
> it.
> If I don't get an answer here, then I am taking the damn CD to the skeet
> range. OK, here is what I got:
>
> Debian 2.1 bootable CD, official type that comes in the box, has the
> Debian
> tm logo on it and the O'Rielly cow book in the box with it
>
> Desired packages:
> Perl(full install not just the basic package), Python, gcc, apache/httpd,
> mySQL
>
> Compaq Prolinea 4/66 20megsRAM  < a 486>

ummm... does it say something like "no pci bios found" in the
bootup messages?  I had a compaq 486 that had scsi and net built
in and never could get linux to run on it.  Compaq had done something
funny with the pci bios.  It was located above normal accessable
memory.  There was a tool to relocate the pci bios down to where it
was supposed to go (available for download from compaq).  This was
back in the deb 1.1 or 1.2 days (just after the switch to elf).  The
newer kernels should pick up on this, I think.  Check your boot up
messages to confirm that it does recognize the pci bus.  If it does,
then using the boot options (as mentioned in another response) should
get you there.  If not, I'll look through the dust and see if I still
have that utility from Compaq.

jim