Re: Proper environment settings`

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 12:20:31PM -0500, Dan Myers wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Can someone give me the best route to change the PATH variable when inside an
> xsession.  Changing such things as .bashrc and .profile etc don't seem like the
> answer to me?   Both for root and users.

basically your using {x,w}dm and finding that your ~/.profile and
friends are being ignored.  this is due to these display managers
being broken (IMO) by not reading any of the user's environment (or
even /etc/profile) when setting up the session.  the solution assuming
your bash is not broken (some older potato versions were) is changing
the first line of /etc/X11/Xsession from #! /bin/bash to
#! /bin/bash --login

this will solve the problem so long as the user uses bash unfortunatly
not for other shells.