Re: how to make .deb packages?

"Fox, Michael" <mafox@fairfax.com.au> writes:
> Basically my question is, how do I make a deb kernel image, so that it can
> be transferred to other machines and used. Since all the machines are on the
> same hardware.
>
> And another thing I am curious about, is if compile something to my system,
> how could i turn the compiled/installed program into a deb file ready to use
> on another machine. So how do the package maintainers make there deb
> packages to be submitted to the package tree? I am very interested to know,
> and use it for my own benefit. Who knows I might someday become a maintainer
> of my own package :)

     To make a kernel image .deb, get the kernel-package package:

: Package: kernel-package
: Version: 7.03
: Section: misc
: Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
: Depends: perl5, dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev (>= 1.4.0.9), fileutils (>= 4.0)
: Recommends: libc-dev, gcc, debianutils, make
: Suggests: kernel-source
: Architecture: all
: Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/misc/kernel-package_7.03.deb
: Size: 149642
: MD5sum: 2e2e026fa21a1aceb8b30cf62979a23f
:  This package provides the capability to create a debian
:  kernel-image package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a
:  kernel source directory tree.  It can also build the kernel source
:  package as a debian file, the kernel headers package. In general, this
:  package is very useful if you need to create a custom kernel, if, for
:  example, the default kernel does not support some of your hardware, or
:  you wish a leaner, meaner kernel.
:  .
:  If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
:  custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
:  need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other platforms).
: installed-size: 644

     For making .debs in general, go to http://www.debian.org/devel/
and look at the documents under Packaging Information, and also read
the Debian Policy Manual, listed under Debian Policy on that same page.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@debian.org>