how to make .deb packages?

I have always wondered. I manage a fair few Debian machines, as since I
started using debian about 12months ago after coming from Slackware. I have
since given up on anything else, and only use Debian.

I noticed that when you build a kernel on your machine, that you can also
make your kernel image and modules for your machine into a deb package,
which then is usuable on other machines.

Basically my question is, how do I make a deb kernel image, so that it can
be transferred to other machines and used. Since all the machines are on the
same hardware.

And another thing I am curious about, is if compile something to my system,
how could i turn the compiled/installed program into a deb file ready to use
on another machine. So how do the package maintainers make there deb
packages to be submitted to the package tree? I am very interested to know,
and use it for my own benefit. Who knows I might someday become a maintainer
of my own package :)

Please email me directly, I am not on the list, and only broswe the disgest
every so often :)

Thanks