Re: 7-bit PPP

Oki writes:
> I'm having problem setting up a PPP connection on Debian; one of the side
> complained that the line was not "8-bit clean." Is this kind of problem
> due to the settings in /etc/ppp/options or is it a hardware problem?

Neither.  It means that pppd is starting up at your end while a login
process is still running at the other end, echoing everything while it
waits for what it needs to complete the login.  The login process is
expecting test and so is stripping the eighth bit.  Dial in with minicom
and work through the login process by hand to find out what your ISP wants.

> How do you setup a machine that's used for dial-in and dial-out regarding
> to the IP numbers?

Use pppconfig to set it up for dial-out and then use pon to start ppp and
poff to stop it.

> I'd like to have it to accept the remote IP if the machine is for
> dialing-out and giving out an IP number when it's used for servicing
> dial-ins.

Dial-in and dial-out are completely independent.  Use mgetty with AUTOPPP
for dial-in.

> What is /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX for?

It contains pppd options that are only read when the connection is made via
that particular serial port.

> Is it for dial-out or dial-in?

Either, though it is usually used for dial-in.  You need not be concerned
with it, though.  Leave it alone.

> And what about /etc/ppp/options? Is it used for both?

/etc/ppp/options is read whenever pppd starts up.  It should contain
options that apply to all connections.  They can be overrridden by options
from other sources.  Don't change it.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)