7-bit PPP

Hi,

I'm having problem setting up a PPP connection on Debian; one of the side
complained that the line was not "8-bit clean." Is this kind of problem
due to the settings in /etc/ppp/options or is it a hardware problem? (Some
motherboards have BIOS setting for serial lines.)

How do you setup a machine that's used for dial-in and dial-out regarding
to the IP numbers? I'd like to have it to accept the remote IP if the
machine is for dialing-out and giving out an IP number when it's used for
servicing dial-ins. What is /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX for? Is it for dial-out
or dial-in? And what about /etc/ppp/options? Is it used for both?

Thanks in advance,
Oki