2.2.14 vs procps [was: debian on newer kernel]

John Kuhn wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 08:18:33AM +0200, Vitux wrote:
> > John Kuhn wrote:
> > >
> > > My experiance was that 2.2.13 is the latest stable kernel that you
> > > can run on slink without updating any other packages.  Kernel 2.2.14
> > > would require installing a newer procps (2.0.3 or later).
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > --
> > Not in my experience. I got the kernel-source for 2.2.14
> > from kernel.org and did a "manual" compile/install (if that
> > makes any difference, I can't say).
> > I've had no trouble whatsoever and the system is rock stable
> > (except from occasional hardware-related stuff ;-)
> >
> > Vitux
>
> I did a "manual" compile/install of 2.2.14.  The kernel itself did
> work fine.  I found that "ps", "top" and friends from procps 1.2.9-3
> did not work correctly with the new kernel.  Checking
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes I found that procps 2.0.3 or
> newer is required for kernel 2.2.14.  The Changes file for 2.2.13
> indicated that procps 1.2.9 would work with this version.  Since
> I consider procps an essential package, I had two choices at this
> point.  I could have compiled a new version of procps or moved back
> to kernel 2.2.13.  Neither is difficult, but for now I chose to
> use kernel 2.2.13.
>
> John
>
> --
Very strange, I'm running 2.2.14 and procps 1.2.9-3, with
top and ps functioning as usual. Can't recall doing anything
spicey during my kernel-install (seriously doubt it; still a
relative kernel-newbie).
Looking through my boot-messages, there is one strangeness,
though probably unrelated: "process accounting" fails w/
"not available". "Process accounting" belongs to the acct
package, which I can't remove?!
Regards

Vitux

--