Upgrade to 500MHz problems

I've attempted to upgrade using 100MHz FSB for the first time. The new
CPU is an AMD500K2, the Motherboard a Gigabyte GA-5AX (Rev5.2.x)
(with ALi Aladdin chipset and Award bios) and a 64MB DIMM (100MHz).
The machine is a standalone one with Win95 on a small partition on hda,
Debian 2.1 (kernels 2.2.1 and 2.2.12) on hdb, and two other distros on
smaller partitions. In the past, I've been lucky with upgrading - this time,
however, I've problems and a puzzle.

Not wanting to put Debian at risk, I tried to boot Windows - no go and I
could not use safe mode. I re-studied the M/Board Manual and checked
the bios settings, finding nothing which appeared untoward to me (I'm
still very inexperienced!). I re-installed W95 and still got the same errors.
MS-DOS 6.2 installed OK and seemed fine (not that I have much
experience of it).

At this point, and in frustration, I decided to see if Debian would give me
any error messages which might help. I booted from a floppy (I don't use
LILO - don't fully understand it yet), and 2.2.1 put me right into KDE with
no apparent problem. dmesg shows the CPU  and Ram correctly (I had
96Mb of 66MHz EDO before) - the only change from normal other than
expected ones was 'unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 -device 78'.

I was able to do a lot of work - every program was OK and the speed
appeared greater. As I use W95 basically for printing, there was no
immediate problem. I rebooted a couple of times to check things and
they were OK.

However, when I came to shutdown, things went normal to start with
but the system hung following messages (abbreviated):-
'unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000893d',
'current ->tss.cr3= etc',
'*pde= etc',
'0ops=0000',
'CPU 0, EIP: xxxx, EFLAGS: xxxx, eax etc'
'process halt (pid:395, process nr 17, stackpage= xxxx'
'stack etc (lots of addresses)'
'Call trace xxxx'
'Code xx xx xx'
-        hangs at this point

After switching off, the system can be booted again without
difficulty - there's no problem with mounting fs's -they were shut
down correctly.

I've looked at the newsgroup for the motherboard, but found nothing
to help - there are 1000's of postings, but no easy way of searching
that I can discover.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions - particularly about the
puzzle with Debian. I have the usual CD with 'millions' of drivers,
but as all are written for Windows - I haven't been able to try the
ALi IDE ones - DOS doesn't want to know so with my limited
knowledge I'm stymied.

Grateful for any assistance,
John.