Re: Trying to run one process as root, how?

Bryan Walton wrote:

> Greetings to the list,
>         I have a situation where I need to run one program as root,
> through an x terminal, while my x windows session is being run as
> non-root.  When I open up an x terminal in this environment, become
> superuser, and then execute the program, the program fails with the
> following message:
>         Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>         Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>         Error: Can't open display: :0.0
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Bryan

I'm sure there's a better way (I've had this question myself), but a quick
work-around is to start a second X session as root. Just Ctrl-Alt-F<1-6> and login as
root, then start X with "startx -- :1". Then you can Ctrl-Alt-F<7-8> between the two
sessions. (This is also a good way to give your kids an X session separate from
yours.)